Eugenio is a Ph. D. in Literature from UBA. He graduated from I. S. P. Joaquín V. González as a teacher of English as a Foreign Language, and from the Facultad de Filosofía y Letras, UBA as Licenciado en Letras and Profesor de Lengua y Literatura. He currently teaches Literatures in English at the Diplomatura Superior en Cs. del Lenguaje, I.S.P.J.V. González and Reading Comprehension at the UBA. He has taught Introduction to Literature, American Literature, and English Literature I and II at several Teacher Training and Translator Training Institutions.
IGCSE Literature teachers; teachers/schools who wish to introduce IGCSE English Literature in their curriculum.
- To provide IGCSE literature teachers with useful tools for the analysis of drama.
- To provide them with strategies to facilitate students' access to those texts.
- To enhance critical thinking in both teachers and students.
This seminar is designed to provide teachers with basic narratological theory in order to both enrich their analysis of the text and help them design activities fit for the classroom. The theory to use will be basically that of Propp, Barthes and Greimas. Once the theory is discussed the play will be analysed following the above mentioned theoretical framework. In a further stage, historical and cultural aspects, such as the American historical context and the American Dream will be integrated into the analysis. Didactic transposition and concerns will be dealt with during all stages of the discussion. Lastly, some scenes from movies will be analysed in class in order to clarify theoretical concepts through further practical analysis.
- Aristotle, Poetics, http://classics.mit.edu//Aristotle/poetics.html, provided by The Internet Classics Archive.
- Barthes, R. Introducción al análisis estructural de los relatos en Silvia Niccolini (comp.) El análisis estructural. Buenos Aires: Centro Editor de América Latina, 1977.
- Bloom, Harold, ed. Arthur Miller: Modern Critical Views. New York: Chelsea House Publishers, 1987.
- Comgan, Robert W. Arthur Miller: A Collection of Critical Essays, Prentice-Hall, 1969.
- Greimas, A. J. "Elementos para una teoría de la interpretación del relato mítico" en Análisis estructural del relato. Premia, 1991.
- Propp, V. "Las transformaciones de los cuentos fantásticos" en Teoría de la literatura de los formalistas rusos, Madrid: Siglo XXI, 1999.
- Sanchez Corral, Luis "La semiótica de Greimas y el acto didáctico" en CAUCE, Revista de Filología y su Didáctica, n° 26, 2003 /págs. 469-490.
Presentation of an integrated approach to the text covering both a historical and a literary background, as well as literary analysis and pedagogical considerations through debates, pair and group work, and video activities.